Saturday, April 11, 2015

INBA Fitness Competitor Diary #1

It seems a lot of you are interested in my up coming fitness comp.

I have had loads of questions some really good like about my eating and training some weird like if I'm getting fake boobs… but all in all there is plenty of interest.

So I thought the best way to keep track of my vision to compete as well as keep you guys informed would be to write regular blog post on who/what/where/when through the whole process.

Dear Future Fitness Competitor,

It has been just over 3 weeks since I decided to enter myself into INBA - First Timers Fitness Competition and in those last 3 weeks my diet and training have changed dramatically….

BUT before I go into diet and training I want to state WHY I'm doing this and WHAT I'm actually doing.

I was in a rut with my own training… I find it very difficult to train alone I would just stop mid session and get totally distracted with trying to nail a forearm stand (least they are looking good I guess!) I was just going through the motions with no real goal in sight.

My body isn't out of shape - naturally Matt and I eat well - I mean don't get me wrong we love dessert and going out for breakfast, lunch and dinner but majority of our meals are simple good foods.

Like I said above I was just going through the motions and needed that extra drive - something to work for - not just saying I'll train hard starting Monday (as we all do)… I needed something scary enough to MAKE me work hard, change and commit.

INBA was just what I needed.

Divisions go as follows:
-Bikini (no visible 6 pack)
-Fitness (sharp, lean muscles visible 6 pack)
-Physic (Think big)
-BodyBuilding (Think REAL big!)

Bikini was not scary enough. I honestly felt like a few weeks prep would have me ready for a bikini comp, fitness on the other hand seem challenging - I was pushing it with time as I was only 14  weeks out - this was it. This is what I needed.

If I don't work my arse off for the next 14 weeks I will look sloppy compared to all the lean, shredded girls. My competitive nature came and signed up pretty much straight away (This is how I approach most thing - say yes and figure out how later)

As soon as I confirmed my position I was nervous, excited and motivated. The big bleached hair, tan, 'hooker' heels and sequins isn't really my scene but hey a goals a goal!

TRAINING:

My last 3 weeks of training has consisted of x4 strength sessions per week to build muscle mass (ass and shoulders mostly) and to also help improve my posture. (I type as I sit back up straight at my desk)
x1 hard cardio session (kickboxing PT with Ashby)
x3 fasted walks
x1 leisure physical activity (walk dogs, hike, aerial yoga, reformer classes)

Going from hardly any strength to 4 sessions a week took toll on me for the first week especially.

I was tired, exhausted and bloody sore. This is all a result of not eating enough…

My diet for the first week didn't change much from what I usually eat.. of course I stayed away from the lolly isle but main meals were same as usual. Because of the increase of training, keeping my old eating style wasn't an option as I wasn't recovering well so I had to change it up and here is what I did...

Week 2 and 3 were similar I started:

Eating breakfast - yes I don't usually eat breaky! My work hours just don't suit so I'd rather have an earlier lunch. I went for eggs by them self if I didn't want carbs or if it was after training it would be x1 whole meal muffin with 1/4 avo, feta and x1 piece of smoked salmon.

Adding Snacks - I also didn't snack much I was always too busy/not hungry. At the moment I can not control my snacking and this is a issue! I have gone from not wanting food to wanting to eat everything near me. I was told to snack on x2 dates and x10 almonds….. a bag of dates later I was satisfied. For those of you who have any idea on nutrition a bag of dates is not a healthy snack. I attempted to portion control and even making protein balls but I just don't have self control…. sue me!!!

In week two and three training didn't feel as daunting and I was recovering a lot better (even though I was upping my weights each week) so the extra food helped! I was still sore but for only a day or 2… except my butt that is constantly sore atm but I'm not complaining as Ive always had troubles activating my glutes so somethings working!!

This Monday (13th April) will mark my 4th week into comp prep and 11 weeks out from my comp and here's whats going down:

-I will hit a fasted walk EVERYDAY.
-I will do x4 strength sessions.
-I will do x2 hard cardio sessions.
-I will drink minimum 3L of water.
-I will only have x1 coffee per day - rest is green/white tea.
-I will not have any processed sugar/carbs (DUH!)
-I will snack on turkey/chicken breast and raw veggies. (No dates!!!)

These are my main guidelines for the week - I'll also be recording a food photo diary which involves me snapping away at everything I consumed…. So stay tuned!!!

If you have any questions at all - things you would like me to write about - please ask!

Stay Strong and Stretch,
Tel X






No comments:

Post a Comment