Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Yoga VS. Pilates: What’s the difference?

This question was brought up mid down-dog yesterday whilst running sessions for the Year 9 kids at Gisborne Secondary College.

Yes  - Royale Fitness also participates in multiple school education programs. I love educating kids – they are so raw and honest – we could learn a lot from them!!

Anywho – it seems this is a very common question and a fair one at that! When I first got into the fitness industry I didn’t know which path I wanted to follow… Yoga or Pilates – like you they seemed very similar!

After becoming a ‘Certified Practitioner of Pilates’ the differences couldn’t be any clearer.

Now like the year 9 kids I’m not going to give you fancy pants technical answers to make me sound like a Pilates and Yoga ‘guru’. I’m giving you raw, down to earth, straight to the point comparisons that you’ll actually understand – because I know you don’t give a hoot where it originated you just want to know which one gives you the sexy abs like the celebrities are rocking right?!

In that case will start with Pilates:

Pilates focuses on muscle strength, endurance and full body control.  Although a full body method its main focus is on your mid section or ‘core’.  Its toning benefits are the main reason Pilates is so popular today, even though it was traditionally used for more rehab purposes. In a Pilates class you will feel more of a ‘burn’ in your muscles as you go from one exercises to the next. Like everything the benefits only come if you participate regularly – sorry girls no over night 6 packs here! Think challenging exercises.

Yoga focuses on flexibility and balance – different types of Yoga offer different things. There are some styles that focus more on the spiritual side (chanting and breathing) and others that focus on ‘flows’ or physically movements from one pose to the next. You will not feel a 'burning' muscle endurance pain but more of a muscle lengthening feeling. Think stretching.

Which one do I prefer?


Pilates.

WHY?


Because since starting I’ve noticed my posture has improved, my core is ridiculously strong and I love the lean muscles that it creates – it is both challenging and satisfying and you can ALWAYS progress no matter how good you are there is always a harder version to keep your body guessing!

Now don’t get me wrong I bloody love Yoga to, I wouldn’t be as bendy as I am today without it. I believe flexibility and stretching is extremely important after ANY physically activity and it is for this reason I have incorporated both into my HEARTCORE sessions – Pilates to create a killer mid section (one thing I have noticed is when ANY of my HEARTCORE girls send me progression photos they always have ab definition) and Yoga to become more flexible because touching your toes should be as simple as it sounds!

If you have ANY questions don’t hesitate to shoot them through or if HEARTCORE sounds just like what you need click the link below as I have a couple of openings I’m looking at filling. 


Stay Strong & Stretch,
Tel X


No comments:

Post a Comment